Essential Tips For Natural Stone Countertop Care
Tips To Properly Maintain Your Stone Countertop & Make Them Shine
We will give you some tips to properly maintain your stone countertop to make it look shiny every time.
If you think these tips are not enough, contact Phoenix natural stone cleaners for more help. Otherwise, take note of the following.
Prevention & Sealing Are Crucial
Prevention is the best way to care for your natural stone countertops and extend their lifespan. Use cutting boards and trivets to avoid scratches. If you spill anything, clean it up immediately by blotting. You should also avoid standing, sitting, or kneeling on your countertops.
Since natural stone is porous, it can absorb staining agents in liquids, foods, and other substances. To protect them against staining, most natural stone countertops require a sealing process.
You can do the sealing process yourself, but it may be better to call a stone care technician to ensure the proper coverage.
Clean With The Right Tools
Only use pH-neutral cleaners specifically designed for natural stone. This is the only cleaner you should use for your countertops and nothing else!
Some people recommend using vinegar and water to clean your stone, but that’s the worst you can do. Avoid any cleaner with acidic or abrasive formula as it could cause discoloration.
Depending on the type of stone, you may clean it with water and a mild dish soap once in a while. However, if you think your stone countertop needs a deep cleaning, contact natural stone cleaners in Gilbert.
Although mild dish soap and water may be OK in some instances, they can also cause a filmy buildup.
Glass cleaners are not recommended either because they dull the polish over time.
Treat Stains As Soon As You Can
You must be careful with stains. Wipe them up immediately to avoid damage.
Most natural stones are sensitive to acidic foods like vinegar and wine, so avoid spilling them up. Foods with excessive artificial and natural dyes like beets and Kool-Aid should also be handled cautiously.
Avoid Any Damage
In addition to spills, natural-based countertops are also sensitive to other chemicals like perfumes and cosmetics. Do not put them on the surface but rather use a delicate tray to display them.
Granite may be the most resistant of all, but don’t take unnecessary chances. Use trivets for hot pans, and never place glasses with extremely hot beverages on the surface.
UV rays can also damage your natural stone countertops, so minimize the direct exposure if possible.
How To Care For Different Natural Stone Countertops
Taking care of natural stone countertops is not as difficult as it seems. With the previous recommendations, you should do fine.
Nonetheless, you can always contact Glendale natural stone cleaners for more help.
You can also take note of the following tips for each type of stone:
- Quartz Countertops: Quartz is virtually maintenance-free. You can clean it only with ph-balanced cleaners. These countertops are not affected by acidic foods the same way as others, so they are more resistant. Use plastic putty knives to remove dried paint or nail polish.
- Granite Countertops: Granite is naturally antibacterial and easy to care for. You can clean it once every few weeks with water and mild detergent if necessary. Avoid spilling acidic foods or liquids on the surface to avoid damage.
- Concrete Countertops: Just as with concrete floors, the key to easy maintenance for concrete countertops is how they are sealed. Their sealant must be acid, heat, and scratch resistant. Never use harsh, abrasive cleaners or scrubbing pads to clean your concrete countertops.
- Limestone Countertops: Limestone countertops require more care than other types of stone. Clean them with commercial limestone cleaner, and never put extreme heat on the surface as it can burn the finish and ruin it.
- Marble Countertops: Marble countertop care is similar to caring for granite. The difference is the porosity. Since marble is more porous than other stones, be sure to clean up spills as soon as possible when they occur.
Call Phoenix Cleaning Services When Necessary
We suggest you give your natural stone countertops a beauty treatment once every few months. To do that, you must contact a trusted stone restoration technician.
If your stone countertop surface has become dull from dirt and grime, Arizona Stone Care can help. We offer numerous services to help you increase the longevity of your natural stone. Contact us now to get a free quote.